Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Fifty Eight

It's back. And in full swing again: the crazy/chaotic waitressing life in July. Many customers, many food orders, and many behaviors. It brings me back to a BLOG POST I made last summer on different types of customers: the complainer, the mother, the perfect customer. It's during these high-stress evenings when I have to remind myself of a few things:

Each customer deserves my best service. Even if they are rude, indecisive, or smell bad.
I am working for some of the best employers in the world. I want to represent them well.
Take. Deep. Breaths. Even if I mess up a food order or get yelled at, everything's going to be fine.



After a nice Google search I stumbled upon an article on how to be a better waitress. Kind of interesting. Here are a few of Carrie's tips (some more obvious than others):
  • Know the menu. Drinks and food. Backwards and forward.
  • Be prepared for customized orders. No onions, extra cheese, light ice.
  • Be personable.
  • Take time to listen to customers- often times they want to tell a joke, about their day, or why they came in to your restaurant.
  • Do not lose patience with complaining customers.
  • Keep drinks filled always.
  • Upsell.
  • Anticipate needs of customers.
  • Admit and apologize to customers when you make a mistake.
  • Remember the regulars.
  • Pre-Bus.
  • Be organized.
  • Repeat orders back to customers.
  • The customer is always right.
  • Look nice- appearance does matter.
  • Treat the rest of the staff well and communicate.
  • Enjoy working. "Have fun."

Some of my own personal tips for customers (in other words, how to receive better service):

  • Be reasonable. Yes, it is my job to serve you but no, it isn't reasonable to change an order 15 minutes after it's been put in or to know exactly how many french fries are going to come in your basket.
  • Be polite. Please treat me like a human being, aknowledge that I do have more than one table, and if your child somehow by chance vomits- clean it up.
  • Ask my opinion. Not a necessity by any means but something I enjoy. For one, I have eaten everything on the menu- multiple times. I know which items and drinks are the most delicious and popular. Let's make it easier for both of us.
  • Enjoy your dining experience. There's nothing I love more than serving people who are happy. They take their time and savor their food. Good conversations over drinks follow dinner. They are friendly and admire the restaurant and its atmosphere. Sometimes they even throw me a compliment. They are an incentive to be a better waitress. Thanks you guys- wherever you are.

1 comment:

bama said...

I would ask your favorite thing on the menu, compliment your smile, thank you for the constant refills considering how busy you are, thank you for the pizza suggestion, over tip, then when you brought a to-go box say something smooth like, "Uh, thats way too small. You wont fit in there. How my gonna take you home with me?" You'd laugh and tell me when you got off work. The rest is undecided.

Followers