Monday, June 14, 2010

Day Thirty Seven

Flag Day


There's something incredibly special about a flag and its symbolism. I vividly remember the changes following 9/11: insane security, less traveling, countless humanitarian efforts, and among other things an overwhelming increase in American flag displays. I remember watching the opening ceremonies for the 2002 Winter Olympics on television and seeing the American flag that flew from Ground Zero carried in. I remember the NYPD officer who sang "God Bless America". His voice was beautiful, rich, and deep- he sang with authority. During our trip to New York City last summer, my mother, sister, and I wandered around the temporary 9/11 "memorial," glancing at flags, letters, and pictures. I would love to see more of the American flag.

After my four months of Asia I came home exhausted, emotional, and completely ready to be with my family. It was Christmas time- December 22. Too many thoughts were running through my head as I landed in the LAX airport. One that stood out more than the others though, was my intensified gratitude for my country. "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have now landed in Los Angeles, California airport and will be admitted into Gate E within the next 15 minutes. At this time pleased remain seated with seat belts securely fastened. Thank you."


[Personal Favorite]

Happy Flag Day.

3 comments:

natalie said...

my brother in law drew that last photo on the fireman hanging the flag that is AWESOME. maybe i'll show it to you if we ever see eachother again.

love america. and other countries as well.

Madison Beyers said...

Cause I'm Proud To Be An American.


Forever and Always.

Unknown said...

Love this post. I will never forget the Opening Ceremony. You Could have heard a pin drop in Rice Eccles when that flag was carried in.

Followers